Monday, December 15, 2008

Ice + Ice = STUCK

What a bleak winter morning today! The icy surface from yesterday turned icier with the formation of an additional layer of ice overnight, resulted from the minor precipitation as the cold temperature took effect.

It's about 150 metres from my apartment to the bottom of the hill of Graham Avenue (the street where I live). On regular days, I can easily walk down the hill in less than a minute. This morning, however, it took me about 5 minutes to walk and slide down the street!!! I had my sneakers on, initially. After noticing the icy condition on the road and sidewalk (I can't move, or I'll slide, literally), I decided to head back to my apartment and change into my winter boots. I had to give up my sneakers and crossed the street with just my socks on for better friction. Seriously, no kidding...

It was very helpful to have my boots on, but still, I had to take one step at a time. I couldn't help but to slide along when I had to. I just had to stay balanced at all times... Finally, when I got to the bottom of the street, I saw a car sliding down the street... Lo and behold, the car hit the curb and did a donut. Luckily, the driver was able to position his car back on track. There wasn't any noticeably damage on the car. The driver must be in shock, I supposed.

I missed the bus and had to wait for 30 minutes, for the next bus to arrive. Hmm... 8:10 a.m., the bus was already 15 minutes late. I called up the Fredericton Transit trying to find out what was going on, but no one was there to answer my call... Anyway, I called in the lab and mentioned to my co-worker that I was going to be late for work. Apparently, the bus service was delayed due to the slippery road conditions and won't resume till 9 a.m., schools with classes were delayed by 2 hours etc. The local residents were urged to stay off the road by the Police Force. I ended up showing up at work around 9:30 a.m.



The 150 metres route to the bottom of the hill took me 5 minutes to walk & slide!




A close look at the icy road surface. Trust me, it was completely covered with ice! By the curb, the sidewalk, and even in middle of the road!! Everywhere...


I was shocked to learn that my co-worker who travels to work from Miramichi every Monday morning, met a car accident this morning... Her car was flipped over. Fortunately, she wasn't injured. She's under medication and currently resting at home. I pray that she will soon recover from the shock and any pain that she's suffering from the accident.

No comments:

Custom Search