Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Christmas is Near...

It's hard to believe that Christmas is just around the corner. Christmas Eve is a week from today, bizarre... Soon enough we're going to bid 2008 goodbye... Oh, let's not go that far, back to Christmas. What do you think about Christmas? Exciting? Joyful? Stressful?

I remembered being a little kid going to bed on Christmas Eve with great anticipation, dozing off when I finally couldn't keep my eyes straight from staring at the Christmas stocking hanging by the bed... Waking up early on Christmas morning with great excitement and contentment, holding my stuffed Christmas stocking, even though I realized that Santa doesn't exist...

Should you tell your kids that Santa is unreal? This remains as a controversial topic. "If you believe there is, then there is," is a nice way to avoid shattering the Santa dreams in the little souls. Truthfully, there's no need to hide the truth from kids. The sooner they find out, the less disappointment for them later on. I remembered little sis came home one day, when she was four, asking "is Santa real? My classmate's parents told her that Santa doesn't exist. Is that true?" Stunned by her unexpected question, I was speechless for a minute. Mom & Dad then explained to her that Santa is indeed, unreal. The older we grow, the more we know; or rather, the older we grow, the more we SHOULD know. That's always the way it is!

I was carried away by the whole idea of Christmas celebration. Mom would prepare a fancy Western meal, with Dad serving us sparkling juice. The best meal of the year, besides the big meal during Chinese New Year. We never had a turkey for Christmas dinner. Why? It's simply because turkey is not commonly found in Malaysia, and it could cost a fortune (exaggerating) to get one!

Thus, I was delighted to have a turkey dinner on my first Christmas in Canada! Since then, I've always been looking forward to a turkey dinner on Christmas. On top of that, white Christmas has always been wonderful in North America. It gets more meaningful when I learned how to cook the bird myself. Secret recipe, shh..... Despite the time and effort putting into preparing a cooked turkey, I enjoyed having fun in the kitchen and everyone's great big smiles when savouring the delicious turkey ;)

Now that I don't get surprise gifts in my Christmas stocking, I'm nice to myself occasionally by getting myself some Christmas gifts.


Wow... mountain high chocolates?? My favourite Ferrero Rocher (esp. the dark chocolates), Nestle Turtles, Lindt dessert chocolates, and Dove milk chocolates. Keeping a box of Ferrero for myself for sure ;)


The Christmas Advent Calendar, supposed to provide you with ideas of daily activities from Dec. 1st to Christmas Eve. It's something that I always wanted to check out. A piece of chocolate a day!


The first Christmas card (in blue) I received this year and a self-made 3D-Christmas card. Isn't that cute? Of course, chocolates are always the highlight. Lindor chocolates in orange (orange flavour), red (milk), black (dark), yellow (white), and brown (hazelnut).


Believe it or not, here's what I got for myself this Christmas. A powerful hand mixer and a set of silicone bakeware. Excellent tools for baking!

No comments:

Custom Search