Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Blood Donation - It's in You to GIVE

What's your reaction to a needle-pricking pain? How about leaving a needle in your arm for 10 minutes? Shocking? Scary? Ridiculous? Impossible??

I'm grateful that my healthy body is fit for blood donation. If the needle-pricking pain is your problem, think about this: would you ever give up a chance to live on, if one day you happen to experience blood lost and blood transfusion is the only way to save your day? Would you then refuse to accept blood, just because you're afraid of needles? Not a CHANCE!!! By the same token, why not be a generous donor and share with others the goodness of life? It's in you to give! What do you have to lose?

At a young age, I envied those who're over 18 of age and are able to donate blood. Why would someone who used to afraid of swallowing pills and needle-pricking like me be brave enough to go for blood donation? I believe in overcoming fears in life, especially if it's unnecessary fears. If you want to stay healthy, simply swallow the prescribed pills; if there's something else you develop a greater fear of (which surely you do), just go for blood donation!

I was really excited for my first blood donation in 2005, at the blood donor clinic on the university campus. I've to admit that one of the motivations was the bonus point from my Biochem. lab professor who encouraged students in her class to participate in blood donation ;) I had bad experience donating blood the first couple of times. I've slow blood flow due to my tiny veins, and nurses had to give up after a while before they could gather the desired amount of blood from me! I pray hard every time I go for blood donation that my blood would flow freely and let it fill up the bag. My prayer was answered at last, when I started using my right arm (even though I used it before and it didn't work)! Apparently, I've larger veins on my right arm and twice so far, that it worked perfectly! Nevertheless, I spent 14 minutes instead of an average of 10 minutes for most people. The nurse was worried at some point that I might not be able to make it through and had to adjust the needle's position... Ha... I proved him wrong :P

I'm surprised to find out my blood type (B+) is rather rare in Canada, about 7.6% of all blood types. O+ is the most common (39%), followed by A+ (36%), O- (7%), A- (6%), AB+ (2.5%), B- (1.5%), and O- (0.5%).

Do you know?
1. Each blood donation can save up to three individuals. One unit of whole blood can be separated into red blood cells, platelets, and plasma.
2. On average, a hip replacement requires one unit of blood, a cardiac bypass needs 2 units, a heart transplant 2 units, and a liver transplant 10 units!
3. Blood cannot be manufactured. It can only be given as a gift from people.
4. Blood donors can donate as frequent as every 56 days.
5. One unit of blood is ~450 mls for each donation.
6. The process of blood donation, from start to finish, takes only one hour! Hemoglobin (iron) testing, answering donor questionnaire, blood pressure & body temperature reading, blood donation, and 5 minutes of rest.
7. A blood sample from the donation is taken for testing transmissible diseases, prior to usage.
8. You burn about 650 calories for each pint (~ 473 mls) of blood donated.

What are you waiting for? Call the Canadian Blood Services today to make an appointment (1 888 2 DONATE)! Remember, it's in you to give! Be the ONE who makes a difference in someone else's life *v*

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Adeline,

I just wanted to commend you on donating blood. It's especially important right now with the available supply at an all time low. If your interested in reading some stories from people whose lives have been saved by people like you check out www.thankyourdonor.ca There you will find stories from multiple blood donation recipients who are thanking their anonymous donors.

Custom Search