Friday, April 18, 2008

Where are the CoLOuRS from?

You've seen it every fall, how the colour of leaves changes. I'm not sure about you, but I was absolutely amazed by God's creation! I made an effort to observe the change in colour of those maple trees that I walked pass everyday on campus.

As shown below, the change in colour of a maple tree (from left to right):


I started searching for an answer, HOW and WHY does the colour of leaves change?! I finally got a satisfactory answer from my first year Biology lab professor. The different pigments in leaves are doing the tricks!

“During growing season (spring and summer), chlorophyll is continually being produced and broken down and leaves appear green. As night length increases in the fall, chlorophyll production slows down and then ceases. All the chlorophyll is destroyed eventually. The carotenoids and anthocyanins that are present in the leaf are then unmasked and show their colours.”

However, bear in mind that not all trees go through the similar phase of colour change. Some will actually turn into bright red, and look as if they're on fire!


A close view of the leaves:


Enjoying the scenic view on campus:


I like this the best so far:


Strolling along the trail, while appreciating the Mother Nature's recipe for the spectacular season, and.....


...this has led us to the majestic view of Saint John river across the walking bridge:


What do you think? Are you tempted to pay Freddy a visit yet?


No comments:

Custom Search