Saturday, July 12, 2008

Strawberry Picking

Posing with the bright red, juicy strawberries!


The strawberry plants.



Come on, let's pick some berries from the field. What a great outing in the summer!



I always look forward to the strawberry season in the summer, which usually takes place in early July, after Canada Day. Previously, I've organized strawberry picking trips for friends who were new to Freddy and they truly enjoyed it ;) Strawberries....I'm excited for it! I rode on my bike to the strawberry farm, Sunset U-Pick on Ferris St. off Sunset Drive, located on the north side of the city. It was a 30-minute bike ride. What a gorgeous day! Warm sunshine, summer breeze...

Apparently, the hot weather will bring a more rapid end to the season, and residual moisture from the rain will shorten the shelf life of strawberries. The weather certainly plays a major role in the growth of berries. This is the second week of the picking season and will probably go on for another week or so.

Strawberries are yummy just on its own. My favourite however, is the strawberry+kiwi+banana smoothie. A refreshing treat on a hot summer day!

No comments:

Custom Search